This was a slow year on the blog. After taking a quilting hiatus and spending more time in the house and less time on the farm — my two favorite blog topics: our farm and quilting — disappeared.
I really enjoy writing about our farm, but it is primarily John’s business. Of course, we are a family farm. However, I’m not very involved with the day-to-day operations at this time.
For the farm, I simply cook, keep some of the books and offer my advice. (Generally, when no one is asking for it!) Unlike my mom, dad, John and now my sister Savannah, I’m not feeding hay or doing chores each day.
I’m making eggs and folding laundry and scheduling social media posts from my new office. Overtime, I found that I wanted to write about something I was actually doing on a daily basis. For now, that is reading and writing.
By midsummer, I realized I needed some down time to revamp this space to something that would work better for me and my family in the long-term. Finally, I have a new plan. I reworked my blog layout last week. I now have four tabs instead of a dozen.
Here’s a quick tour…
This will be the standard blog roll. Going forward into 2016, here’s what you can expect from me and what I hope to do on this blog in 2016:
- Posts on books I’m reading and enjoying.
- Posts on the book I’m writing and finishing.
- Monthly “What I learned” posts. You can read about this here. Lots of bloggers do this post each month and I’m jumping on the band wagon.
- A New Word of the Year post, like this one.
- Weekend links. On the occasional Saturday, I will share a post like this one.
- Thoughts on rural living and moving from Missouri to SD.
Here’s what not to expect from this space in 2016:
- Regular posts after the new baby comes in mid-April. Maternity leave, yo! Just give me a few weeks or months to re-adjust and then I’ll get back in the swing of things. (Aka, blogging from my iPhone while nursing the new baby.)
- Farmin’ Friday posts.
- Regular quilting posts and home-improvement projects.
This will be the standard, run-of-the-mill ‘about’ page. Just my welcome and introduction to the kind folks on the internet.
This page is dedicated to my books, Wild Man and a forthcoming un-named book that is getting dangerously close to looking like a book.
I’m also giving up on trying to organize all my old posts. I’ve tried a lot of different methods and read plenty of books on websites. I also read multiple blogs and considered what structures other bloggers use. But, for the most part, blogs are just about the most-current, newest five posts.
So, on the “popular” page, I put together some links to my favorite posts as well as your favorite posts from overtime by using the “site stats” feature. There are some general categories here: farm & rural living, making your home & writing spaces, our family, book reviews, and Words of the Year. I may add categories in the future, but I’ll try to keep that space pretty simple.
Change is good, right?
I hope that this transition goes well in 2016. I love to write. I love to read. I still think that blogs are just about the coolest thing that happened to communication since…well, the internet, I guess. I hope you find this revamped space a place you enjoy visiting!